“No other group I have ever been a part of has given me as much as what I got out of the alive programs. I am estimating that through my years at SMCS I spent about 25 days at camp. As a near graduate from Queen’s, now more than ever it is clear to me that those 35 days have defined me as a person more than any other learning experience of my life. I want to thank you Alive and everyone who is a part of because it has given me the most indispensable skills and most cherished memories.”
Why ALIVE outdoors is a powerful outdoor classroom?
- EXPERIENTIAL MODEL: Most schools that participate in the Alive outdoors programs participate every year throughout high school. Each experience builds on the previous.
- GRATITUDE: Throughout their stay students are given many opportunities to show gratitude.
- CHALLENGE BY CHOICE: Students are encourage to confront new challenges and expand their comfort zone. (‘YET’ is a powerful tool: I don’t know how to canoe… YET!; I can’t swim…YET!; I’m not good at climbing…YET!)
- FACILITATED REFLECTIONS: Debriefs and self reflections are integrated into the program. The students are encouraged to reflect on what happened, why and what changes they are going to implement. (->Do it->What->So What->What Now)
- ACTIVE EXPERIMENTATION: Students are encouraged to take risks.
The development of both soft skills and hard skills are developed at ALIVE outdoors leaving many students with a profoundly life changing experience.
Adventure Leadership Individuality Values Empowerment